- Began studies of Hawaiian dance and language 35 years ago; sought out and studied under highly regarded Kumu Hula (in western terms, hula instructor) including Vicky Holt Takamine, Chinky Mahoe, Aloha Dalire, Mapuana DeSilva, Sonny Ching, Ray Fonseca, Mahina Bailey, Keith Awai, Olana Ai, and many others.
- 1980's formed the Alohalani Dancers, and established the Halau Hula O Ka Hikina 'Akau As Artistic Director and Kumu Hula, led the company through in-person and televised performances at community and private special occasions, corporate events, customized school programs, libraries, churches, federally sponsored presentations, and children's television shows.
- 1990's connected with a Samoan/Tongan family and collaborated as cultural advisor and performer, with The Tahinas and The Tamasiis on special projects in restaurants, cruises, large organization events, and International Festivals, including highly professional level Hawaiian, Tahitian Otea and Aparima, Maori, Samoan, and Tongan shows, complete with fully decorated stages, a live Polynesian band, Polynesian food catering, the traditional Samoan Chief fire knife act, and even fireworks!
- 2000, focused more deeply on hula protocol by closing her studio and moving to Hawaii to more closely study with the musicians, Hawaiiana crafters, chefs, and hula masters; became a member of Halau Hula 'Ilima under the direction of Kumu Hula Mapuana DeSilva, and entered a deeply focused hula Uniki program.
- 2015 relocated to South Carolina to be closer to family on the East Coast, and establised Halau Hula ke Alohalani, dedicated to deeply study and share the most traditional styles of hula. Established Hui ka Hula Ki?i (Hawaiian puppet theatre) with puppets of legendary characters of Hawaiian folklore. Become Chair, Education &Cultural Awareness Cmte, Pacific Islanders Association of Columbia, SC. Leads HOT HULA Fitness with Mapuana in Columbia. Pacific Islands Dance Arts of the Carolinas includes performances of Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori and Samoan dances; performances include weddings, children?s day events, international festivals, and more!
- Current classes include format hula training (Papa Ku Kahi), gracious ladies hula (Wahine ?U?i: Aloha Hula), hula for kids (Keiki Hula), and community outreach (Learn to Hula! @ Lourie Center).
- Kilohana group is the core of the Pacific Islanders with their masterful collection of highest quality hula. They can stand at the helm of your entertainment wishes for your special event. With their connections, they can bring a soloist or an entire group of dancers, musicians and fire knife act to the stage to sparkle up your party!
“…excellent talent in Polynesian themed parties!” – President, Pearl Harbor Survivors
“…true sample of the cultures of the Pacific Islands.” - Entertainment Director, Indianhead Resort, New Hampshire
“…are reliable and professional entertainers who work well with their audience.” - The Music Connection, Framingham, MA
“We were surprised by all the scenery and extra artifacts you brought.” - Salem Elementary School
“One very well- traveled, and discriminating couple said the show was far superior to anything they'd seen in Hawaii.” – Mayflower Place, Boston
“We could not have asked for more – such professionalism!” – Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism
"Marvelous Hawaiian entertainment for our annual luau!" - Lexington, SC Library
"Amazing talented hula and wonderful Hawaiian focused booth!" - Columbia International Festival
"Please, please, please come back again next year!" - Richland Library, Columbia, SC
"Learning about the Hawaiian culture through Mapuana has been a marvelous experience!" - Lourie Center, Columbia SC