Comedy, motivation and storytelling with a twist.
Having delivered over 500 professional performances - I prepare my material and presentation taking into account your audience demographics, wants and needs. I am not a "prima donna". My performances are energetic and fast moving with multiple 3-8 minutes stories that weave together to form a 30-60 minute set. I have a 300 + repertoire of riffs, stories and conversations for all occasions. Aslan Records, Lexington, Ky, released my storytelling CD, "Good for Your Soul" won the National Parenting Publications Honors Award also reviewed for a Grammy nomination.
If you like Lewis Grizzard, Jerry Clowers or Garrison Keillor you will love Bruce Walker.
Fast paced, and unpredictable; Bits, pieces and snippets of rural Appalachia come to life in his home-spun tellings.
Bruce started life facing adversity. As an 8-month old child, he was rushed to the local hospital and there pronounced dead. While lying in the morgue, his mother insisted they try to revive him one more time, it worked (obviously), the Dr. said, "don't get excited, without oxygen this long, he will be brain-damaged", Bruce says, "I'll let you be the judge of that". Bruce is a comedian, storyteller, presenter and inspirational speaker. Workshops are available on a variety of topics.
Coming off the stage at Panoply Art Festival, an older gentleman grabbed his hand and shook it vigorously and said, "Your stories give me hope". In Tysford, Norway while the winds whipped at 60 mph and 20 below 0, scientists gathered around a roaring fire at a scientific outpost inside the Arctic Circle, friendships were made and understanding flowed as a southern storyteller and Norwegian scientists made connections. Bruce simply enjoys what He does.
Bruce delivers an entertaining mix of stories, conversation and laughter. Bruce has appeared on NPR, National Biblical Storytellers Convention, Storytelling Network National Convention , University of Alabama, Mountain Medicine Radio Show to name a few. Grammy Reviewed, Award winning CD - "Good for Your Soul" has garnered Bruce a following all across the South.
Interview with Bruce:
Attended Auburn University at Montgomery- '75
East Tennessee State University- Storytelling Workshop-'08
National Association of Realtors-2001
Private Instrument Rated Pilot- 1992
2. Where are you from originally?
Born in Oklahoma City, Ok-while my mother was with my father who was preaching at a church revival. Raised in Montgomery, Al. and have lived in Huntsville, AL. since 1984.
3. What was your occupation before becoming a professional entertainer? Pastored a non-denominational church, (Church at Huntsville) owned retail businesses( Walker Auto Sales, Walker Properties LLC) and trained volunteers for at risk youth.(NAC)
4. Why did you become a storyteller/comedian? Ok, I'm a big HAM!! I enjoy making people laugh and getting their minds off day to day stressors.
5. What sets you apart from other comedians-storytellers? Having delivered over 500 professional performances and thousands of sermons- I prepare my material and presentation taking into account your audience demographics wants and needs. I am not a "prima donna". Influencers for my performances: age-affinities-gender/ethnic makeup and host preferences.
6. What needs to be provided for your appearance? 2 Bottles of water and a handheld microphone (wireless preferred) that's it!!! Oh-chartreuse colored-chocolate covered jumbo peanuts---just kidding!!
7. Other Stuff you might want to know about me: I adore my wife of 37 years, love my daughter because she gave me the three most perfect grandchildren you could imagine. I am an avid backwoods hiker, RV enthusiast, love tech gadgets (i-phone, i-pad, and R-26 digital recorder)
8. Guiding Truth: "I Can Do All Things Through Christ that Strengthens Me"-Philippians 4:13
9. What I am Reading: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Raves for Bruce
What Others are Saying…...
"..most professional entertainer we have worked with...captivated our audience"-Joe Matteson-co-Producer-Mountain Music Medicine Show(Syndicated)
"Bruce Walker brought the house down at the Weogufka Center for the Performing Arts…..I would suggest everybody take in this very funny and real show" Presley Boswell-Director-Weogufkacenter Center
…."Bruce Walker put on a near perfect show…a great night of really great stories by Bruce, a consummate southern storyteller…The audience loved it, the kids were captivated"-Bob Keffe-Berkley Bob's-Cullman, Al
"When I listen to Bruce spin a story, from the moment Bruce begins to speak, the audience is mesmerized…laughter, tears and a longing to visit Walker's Bend again and often"-Renee Morrison-Asst. Director Jacksonville State Field Schools.