Seeing green? You will be soon, because St. Patrick’s Day is only a few weeks away! The March 17th celebration is a way for Irish and non-Irish alike to celebrate with good food, great drinks and even better company. Thinking of throwing your own St. Paddy’s Party this year? Here are some planning tips worthy of a pot of gold!
Jams You Can Jig To
You can’t have a St. Patrick’s Day party without music! Looking for a traditional celebration? A bagpiper or Irish dancer is the perfect entertainment to add. To bring a lively, upbeat atmosphere to a larger function, we suggest a Celtic band or Irish band! No matter which entertainment style you choose, here are some classic songs you’ll want to have on the playlist:
- Amhran na bhFiann (The Irish National Anthem)
- Molly Malone (Cockels and Mussels) – The Dubliners
- Danny Boy – Various Artists
- Erin Go Bragh – The Wolfe Tones
- When Irish Eyes are Smiling – Bing Crosby
For some more modern tunes, don’t forget these:
- Drunken Sailor – Great Big Sea
- Finnegan’s Wake – Dropkick Murphys
- I’m Shipping Up To Boston – Dropkick Murphys
- The Wild Rover – Dropkick Murphys
- Whiskey in the Jar – Metallica
Irish Eats & Drinks
Take your tastebuds on a trip to the Emerald Isle with these authentic Irish dishes and fun green drinks!
Shepherd's Pie is a fan favorite! Here's a recipe from FoodNetwork.com
For a quick and easy appetizer, serve this Irish Soda Bread with your favorite dip! Recipe from SimplyRecipes.com
Skip the trip to your local pub- use this recipe to make Corned Beef at home! From FoodNetwork.com
"Everybody's Irish" with this drink of the same name! Recipe from the Chicago Tribune.
With or without alcohol, this punch looks delicious. Recipe from Pocket Change Gourmet.
No matter your heritage, we hope you've been inspired to celebrate with a festive St. Patrick's Day Party!
Main photo credit: BostonMagazine.com