The biggest party in the whole world is almost here! Mardi Gras is just a few weeks away and the GigMasters office is ordering beads and comparing gumbo recipes to get ready. Can’t make it down to the Big Easy this year? Want to join in the fun but don’t know the first thing about Mardi Gras traditions? Never fear, GigMasters is here with some great Mardi Gras party ideas! This year Mardi Gras Day, or Fat Tuesday, falls on March 8th but rest assured that all across New Orleans the parties will start long before. This means that anytime between now and Fat Tuesday is a great time for a Mardi Gras party.
Now let’s get you started with those Mardi Gras party ideas:
• Dress the Part - Tell your guests to dress festively. The official colors of Mardi Gras are purple, green and gold – so the more the better. Stock up on Mardi Gras beads and feather masks to give out as your guests arrive. (Check out PunchBowl’s guide to making your own Mardi Gras Masks here).
• King and Queen - At some point in the night, crown the King and Queen of the party. Either pick guests at random or give the honor to the best dressed. Don’t have a crown? Just use the silliest hat you can find.
• Authentic Cocktails - As you may have heard, cocktails are an important part of Mardi Gras celebrations. It’s a good idea to get a little bit of everything but we recommend making a few authentic New Orleans cocktails. Check out these recipes for Hurricanes and Sazeracs - two of the city’s favorites.
• Spice It Up – Try your hand at traditional Cajun and/or Creole cooking. Don’t be intimidated by the rich cooking traditions of Louisiana, all you need is a great recipe. Try your hand at jambalaya (which is usually a little simpler than gumbo). Read up on the different between Cajun and Creole to really impress your guests.
• Kingcake! – Most of us who are not from the South have no idea what kingcake is but it's an integral part of Mardi Gras. And it's delicious! Check out Chef Holly Clegg's recipe and don’t forget to hide a plastic baby in there! Yes, really.
• Don’t Forget the Music – No Mardi Gras celebration, or any New Orleans party for that matter, is complete without great music. Music is an essential part of Mardi Gras culture and New Orleans heritage. Whether you prefer a Zydeco Band, Jazz Band, Funk Band or Brass Band – GigMasters can help you find great musicians to make your Mardi Gras party the best on the block.
Got any great Mardi Gras plans? A new jambalaya recipe to share? Let us know in the comment section below and let the good times roll!