You know what games your child likes best, but will those games work for a party? Who better than a party planner, who also happens to have a Masters in Early Childhood Education to tell you? Dylan Glanzer of Parties by Dylan shares some of her favorite party games for younger kids with us.
Babies and Toddlers
• Baby Soccer: Have the children in a circle and get a big beach ball. Swing babies so their feet hit the ball back and forth in the circle. Toddlers are just learning how to kick and the beach ball won’t hurt if it hits them instead. Try using more than one ball for lots of laughs. • Get large boxes and make a town with crayons or make a train to ride in.
• Scarf Dancing: Get out all your scarves and shake them to music. You can also hide your faces under them, toss and catch them, or hold them open and blow into them to watch them fly away!
• Play in the Kitchen Band: Get out the pots, pans and Tupperware! Hit them with wooden spoons or shake measuring spoons. You can also fill Tupperware, yogurt containers, or coffee cans with rice, pasta, pennies, beans, anything to shake and make all different fun sounds! Then turn on your favorite music and play along.
• Get a broomstick for Limbo. I always say, if they can walk, they can limbo. It is fun to see how they learn to go under and duck their heads instead of just grabbing the stick. Next, have then walk or jump over.
• Limbo, Freeze Dance and the Hokey Pokey – nothing like a good old standard!
• Don’t have a parachute for shaking and going under? Use a giant bed sheet! Slide the kids around for rides, shake it with beach balls on top, go under a tent, wave it up and down over their head. This is very exciting kids party game!
• Get a karaoke machine and do a great big sing along with some children’s songs. Or get toy microphones and just pretend to be super stars with some great pop music.
• Have a dress up party. Have your guests come as their favorite princess or character and do a fashion show. You can be the announcer. You can also take photos just like the paparazzi, print them out and give them as party favors.
What are your favorite party games for the younger crowd? Share in the comments below!