Looking for a swingin' jazz band for your event? You've found it! Denielle Bassels and her band are among Toronto's finest and most sought after musicians. Denielle's unique vocals and performance style along with the endearing chemistry of her band have earned nothing but praise and accolades from Canada's top names in Jazz and can be heard daily on national radio networks including JazzFM 91.1 and CBC Radio One. They perform regularly in Toronto's most prestigious jazz venues including Jazz Bistro, Lula Lounge, Hugh's Room, and are recurring feature performers for JazzFM's famous "Jazz Safaris". They perform weddings and corporate events from Waterloo to Ottawa, and are equally at home as a sophisticated backdrop for cocktails, or a floor stompin' main stage swing band for dancing. Denielle and her band spent years playing for weekly Lindy-hop and swing dancing classes in Toronto and Hamilton so they know exactly how to get a crowd moving when feet need to be moving! Some patrons, events, and festivals they've performed for include:
– HotDocs Film Festival for the premier of Yo-Yo Ma's "Music of Strangers"
– Canada Walk of Fame
– Big Brothers and Sisters "Big Night Out"
– Live to Air at Jazz FM91.1
– Christmas Market in The Distillery District
– York University and Humber College
– Lambton Golf and Country Club
– Nuit Blanche
– Woodbine Race Track
– Alliance Francaise
– TD Toronto Jazz Festival
– Toronto Beaches Jazz Festival
– Kensington Jazz Festival
– Harbourfront Hot & Spicy Food Festival
– Jazz Festivals for Port Credit, Oakville, Brantford, Barrie, St. Catharines, Niagara on the Lake, Ottawa, Winterfolk and more.
– And more!
So what does she sound like? Denielle's voice has been described as "Julie London meets Amy Winehouse"; it's warm, sassy, and full of life. She and her band exude musicality and know how to put heart and character behind every note. They are jazz, swing, and soul – vintage, yet fresh – sweet, lively, virtuosic, and sometimes french. You can peak through Denielles 'influences' to get an idea of what your night might sound like, but in general her repertoire includes:
– early swing standards, like you'd hear from Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, or Billie Holiday
– mid-century jazz and soul standards, like you'd here from Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, or Etta James
– swing adaptations of modern pop and r'n'b songs, like you'd you hear from Amy Winehouse, Sam Cooke, or Post Modern Jukebox.
And here are just some of the things people in the music community are saying about Denielle Bassels!
– “Unique and fresh!” says Farley Flex of Canadian Idol
– "An incredible voice, combined with a high calibre of musicianship" says Kris Kadwell of Canoe FM 100.9
– "I can count the number of singers who are about to catapult to stardom on one hand. Denielle Bassels is definitely on that hand" says Jaymz Bee, radio host for 91.1 JazzFM
– "There is something about the imaginative way in which Denielle thinks, crafts, and creates music that is undeniably her own. 2017 has been blessed" says Dani Elwell, radio host for 91.1 JazzFM about Denielle's original album "What About Wool Wishbags"
– ""What About Wool Wishbags" is one of the most memorable recordings I heard in 2017. Denielle is such a wonderful storyteller. The album deserves major kudos and it should travel far." says Terry McElligott, radio host for 91.1 JazzFM about Denielle's original album "What About Wool Wishbags"
A Personal Message from Denielle:
Hello and thank you for reading this far! Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. I'd love to hear about your event and work with you in any way I can to make it extra special!
As a bonus, should you have a particular song you'd like us to perform as a dedication such as first dance, mother/daughter or anything at all, we're always willing to go the extra mile to make your vision come to life. Music is what we love, so tell us what music you love and we'll craft your own special version.
All the best,