The Young Folks is a dynamic chamber music group serving the San Francisco Bay Area. We specialize in performing indie rock songs from the 1990s and 2000's with string instruments and percussion. You can recognize your favorite songs, performed by a classic ensemble. We are committed to a simple, but thorough planning process to make sure you enjoy the music you have envisioned at your event.
Our sound is sophisticated, fun and upbeat. We perform the songs you know and love on violin, cello, vibraphone and drum set. We understand auditioning talent, so we hope you enjoy what you hear!
Our group performs in three configurations: The Young Folks Quartet (four players), The Young Folks Trio (three players) and The Young Folks Duo (two players). Each ensemble has it's own sound and instrumentation. We're happy to help you choose the group that would best complement the atmosphere you're looking to create.
When choosing a group, two main things to consider are
1. The number of expected guests.
2. The energy level desired.
- The Young Folks Quartet is a mix of strings and percussion (violin, cello, vibraphone and jazz drums). It is a large group, so the sound is quite full and driving. The violin carries the melody, the cello closely supports the violin, vibraphone supports harmony and drums outline the recognizable beats to our songs.
If you're an event with many guests, we suggest this ensemble. The strings are able to perform classical music for the prelude and processionals and the indie songs are many times played during the cocktail hour.
- Our most popular ensemble, The Young Folks Trio, is dynamic (violin, cello and vibraphone). The violin, cello and vibraphone can play classical pieces or indie rock songs. We can structure the event to include both of these genres or focus on one particular group of pieces. The trio is less driving than the quartet, but retains a very beautiful, angelic sound.
- The Young Folks Duo features cello and vibraphone. This duo is much like cello and piano, where the cello plays the melody and the vibraphone accompanies with supporting rhythm and chords. This duo is versatile because even though there are only two players, the sound is rich and expressive. All of the same repertoire can be played by this ensemble.
We've carefully fine-tuned our communication process to ensure that music is just as you envision for your wedding day. During the planning process, we use a simple form to organize the ceremony program and day-of details, and commit to working on a stress-free timeline.
We're happy to provide ceremony music at any location possible! We've performed at catering halls, museums, public parks, aquariums, and private residences. Our acoustic instruments don't require power, so we're flexible when it comes to performance location.
We are happy to perform for the cocktail hour, as well. We often re-locate to another part of the venue for the cocktail hour. Relocating takes about 5-10 minutes. We would concentrate on our upbeat songs for the cocktail hour to raise the energy after the ceremony. Guests often recognize the songs we play and feel connected to the songs they know. Our cocktail hour music is full of lively music and adds a touch of intimacy and sophistication to the reception.