Driftwood Duet is a young, vibrant violin and cello duo specializing in classical, folk, and traditional music. Driftwood has performed at New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall, as well as for weddings, receptions, and other special events throughout the Boston and New England.
In addition, Driftwood now offers trios, quartets, and quintets through collaborations with talented friends and colleagues. All of our musicians are graduates of top-tier conservatories in the New England area and are committed to providing beautiful, personalized music for your event.
A student of Yumi Hwang-Williams, Sally O'Reilly, Joey Corpus, and Mark Lakirovich, Rachel Massey graduated from Denver School of the Arts as a violin major, and continued her studies in violin and viola at Denver University and Longy School of Music. She has played under the direction of noted conductors David Zinman, Julius Rudel, and Michael Stern at the Aspen Music Festival, James DePriest at the Las Vegas Music Festival, and, most recently, Benjamin Zander of the Boston Philharmonic. She has performed by invitation at Music on the Rhine in Dusseldorf, Germany, Aspen Music Festival, and on viola at the Las Vegas Music Festival. Currently, Rachel is a member of the Boston Philharmonic. Her repertoire also reaches beyond classical music, with recent projects including performances of jazz and traditional fiddle styles throughout the Boston area, and a recording with Ran Blake, the founding chair of New England Conservatory's Department of Contemporary Improvisation.
Cellist and composer Daniel Hawkins is a graduate of Princeton University (A.B. In Composition - studies with Paul Lansky, Steve Mackey, and Dan Trueman; Certificate in Cello Performance - studies with Sophie Shao and Susannah Chapman) and New England Conservatory (M.M. in Contemporary Improvisation - studies with Tanya Kalmanovich, John Mallia, Anthony Coleman, and Natasha Brofsky). He is the recipient of both the Helen and Isidore Sacks Memorial Prize for Excellence in Classical Music as well as Princeton's Martin A. Dale '56 Fellowship, and has played in venues as diverse as Boston's Jordan Hall, Brighton's Whole Foods, Carnegie Hall in New York, the streets of Jishou, China, the Rudolfinum in Prague, the Schönbrun Palace in Vienna, and the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Maine.
Children's Birthday Parties
Sweet 16 Parties
Wedding Cocktail Hours
* 12 Duets KV487W.A. Mozart
* 20 DuetsJ.S. Bach
* 3 Duets for Violin and CelloLudwig van Beethoven
* 9 Duets from Concerti Grossi Op.6George F. Handel
* Air from Water MusicHandel
* Air on the G StringBach
* Allegro from Sonata in F MajorHandel
* Amazing GraceEarly American Melody
* Andante from Brandenburg Concerto #2Bach
* Andante from String Quartet in A MinorSchubert
* Arioso from Cantata #156Bach
* Ave MariaBach
* Ave MariaSchubert
* Ave Verum CorpusMozart
* Be Thou My VisionTraditional Irish Melody
* Bouree from Water MusicHandel
* Bridal ChorusWagner
* CouranteG.F. Handel
* Danze Pastorale from "Spring"Vivaldi
* Duet in D for Violin and CelloFranz Joseph Haydn
* Entrance of the Queen of ShebaHandel
* Gavotte and Musette from English Suite No.3J.S. Bach
* Hornpipe from Water MusicHandel
* JesuJoy of Man's Desiring
* La RejouissanceHandel
* La VoluptueuseFrancois Couperin
* Largo from The Four SeasonsVivaldi
* Largo from XerxesHandel
* March in D MajorBach
* Meditation from ThaisMassenet
* Minuet in GBeethoven
* My Heart Ever FaithfulBach
* Ode to JoyBeethoven
* Panis AngelicusFranck
* Prelude from Te DeumCharpentier
* Presto from Sonatina in F MajorTelemann
* Ronda alla turcaMozart
* Rondeau from Orchestra Suite #2Bach
* Sarabande from Oboe ConcertoHandel
* Scheherazade ThemeRimsky
* Sheep May Safely GrazeBach
* Simple GiftsTraditional Shaker Hymn
* Traumerei from KinderscenenSchumann
* Trumpet TunePurcell
* Trumpet VoluntaryClarke
* Variations on a Theme of HaydnBrahms
* Vivace from Sonata in F MajorTelemann
* Wachet AufBach
* Water Music SuiteHandel
* Wedding March from A Midsummer Night's DreamFelix Bartholdy Mendelssohn
* When I Am Laid in Earth from Dido and AeneasPurcell
* Coleman's MarchTrad. Appalachian
* Duck RiverTrad. Appalachian
* Duck RiverTrad. New England
* The Duchess of BedfordTrad. Scottish
* Lady Hope of PinkieTrad. Scottish
* Lady MontgomerieTrad. Scottish
* Red Prairie DawnGarry Handel
* Rolling WaveTrad. Irish
* Maison de glaceAndre Brunen
* All You Need is LoveThe Beatles
* Beautiful DayU2
* Bittersweet SymphonyVerve
* Don't Stop Believin'Journey
* Here Comes the SunThe Beatles
* I Miss YouIncubus
* Love Theme from Romeo and JulietNino Rota/Arranged by Henry Mancini
* Somewhere Over the RainbowHarold Arlen
* Storybook Love from The Princess BrideMark Knopfler
"Everything was great! We really enjoyed the music. "
- Lisa C.
in Boston, MA
"They were awesome!!! so professional and played the 2 new songs we requested for our processional and recessional BEAUTIFULLY!!! they were so friendly and really did an amazing job!! "
- Frances N.
in Boston, MA
"Rachel and her partner were great! I accidentally gave them the wrong start time and they responded to our frenzied call immediately. They sounded wonderful, including the new song I asked them to prepare (Love Song by Taylor Swift). Thanks for adding an elegant touch to our special night!"
- Suzanne C.
in Rockport, MA
"Driftwood Duet and Strings was prompt, accommodating, and professional in all our communications, and I was very happy working with them. The ceremony music was perfect. My only regret was that I couldn't just sit and listen while they were playing!"
- Tiffany T.
in Cape Cod, MA
"Daniel and Rachel were true professionals. Beautiful selection for my daughter's wedding luncheon. If I ever need a duet again they will be my first choice. One of the guests commented on how their music made you float into the light filled room, making it magical to enter. Thank you we loved it!!"
- Swan L.
in North Dartmouth, MA
"I used Driftwood duet for my wedding, they were amazing. I got so many compliments on how beautiful they sounded. They even learned a new song for my bridesmaids and groomsmen to walk down the isle to. It was Led Zeppelin's "All of my Love". I would most certianly recommend them to anyone who is getting married. I could not have asked for a better set of musicans. They were also very reasonably priced. I definitely got my money's worth."
- Sarah M.
in Sharon, MA
"Driftwood Duet was wonderful! Their professionalism, courtesy and talent are beyond words. The music is beautiful and guests are still raving. "
- Deb M.
in Magnolia, MA
"We had Driftwood play on our wedding day.
We had only communicated via email regarding event details, and I was a little worried about that. Have no fear, as Driftwood is super talented, punctual, flexible, and pleasant to be around.
I would absolutely hire them again and refer them to all of my friends and family.
Thank you for making our wedding sound amazing!!!
Carmen and Jason."
- Carmen D.
in Chatham, MA
"Driftwood Duet were simply fantastic. They were very easy to work with when we were deciding what music to have performed at the ceremony and during dinner.
Everyone who attended the wedding thought that they sounded amazing! My wife and I are very happy with our choice to have the Driftwood Duet perform at our wedding."
- Mark M.
in Plymouth, MA
"Driftwood Duet was professional and personable, they looked and sounded fantastic! I recommend everyone consider using them, they added a level of refinement and class to our ceremony but still know how to keep it fun - they even learned a Slayer song for us! 5 stars all the way!!"
- Christina B.
in York, ME
"I would highly recommend the Driftwood Duet to anyone. They were so easy to work with, so incredibly talented and just good people in general. I'd love to hear more of them and given the chance, I'd love to work with them again. I can't say enough good things about them. Their music is beautiful. "
In addition to Boston, Driftwood Duet and Strings will also travel to Braintree, Cambridge, Newton, Readville, Brookline Village, Medford, Randolph, Milton, Quincy, Wallaston, Watertown, West Medford, Weymouth, Arlington Heights, Holbrook, Melrose, Nonantum, North Quincy, Waverley, Dorchester, East Weymouth, Hyde Park, Mattapan, North Weymouth, Oakdale, South Weymouth, Waltham, Babson Park, Avon, Canton
and many other locations in and around the Boston area.
Driftwood Duet and Strings
received an average rating of 5.0 stars out of
5, based on reviews by
11 GigMasters clients.
Join GigMasters. Get more gigs.
GigMasters is the place for entertainers and vendors to get gigs. Sign up today
and start getting booked.